The Fear of Success in your Fitness and Wellbeing Goals
Have you been trying to change your body for a while, only to find that no matter what you try it doesn’t seem to be working? You know very well that you just need to “stop eating this” or “exercise more”, but knowing what you need to do, and actually doing it are two different things!
When our brains are being jerks (technical term), they have a tendency to want to distort our thoughts to make them agree with the horrible things we already think about ourselves. And when it comes to health and fitness, our brains really like to tell us that “we can’t” do things, “it’s too hard”, or “why even bother”.
Thoughts like these are tough to stop, it’s hard to even know that they’re happening! And it takes a lot of delving into things to figure out why these thoughts are happening for you personally. But there are a few tips and tricks to try and make your fitness journey a little less overwhelming, and hopefully, feel a little less impossible!
- Just because you failed once, does not mean you will fail again! After all success is standing up just one more time than you fall down! And it’s extremely rare to succeed at anything that’s tough the first time you try it!
- Try not to keep your eye on the end goal, it can seem impossibly far away and can stop you from celebrating the little successes in between! Besides what are you going to do when you get there? Life is a journey, enjoy every step! You’re always going to be on a journey. If you wait until you get there to start having fun then you’ve missed so much along the way!
- Find a positive person who will guide you in your journey. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Everyone has a mentor on the path to success, and sometimes it helps to have an outside opinion on things.
- Change ONE THING at a time. Make it a tiny mind bogglingly easy change that will take you one step in a positive direction. Just a little step forward is still progress! And wait until you see what happens when you’re made 3 or 4 little steps!
- Stop Beating Yourself Up. You don’t have to be perfect to be successful! There is a whole bunch of shades of grey between black and white. Getting closer to where you want to be is still a success!
Remember, being thin and fit doesn’t equal being happy. There are plenty of thin, fit unhappy people out there. You are gorgeous already, and you have so much to offer this world which has absolutely nothing to do with your physical appearance. Try not to let the search for happiness be your fitness goal. If you are unhappy now, chances are you’ll be unhappy when you’re fit too! So laugh as much as you can, spend time with your loved ones, and enjoy every minute of every day. Make sure you’re doing what makes you happy. If getting fit and healthy makes you happy, well then, getting the body you’re after is just an awesome side effect!